How Do You Know When A Car Battery Is Charged?
In case you aim to carry out a complete or fast charge of your battery, it’s very important to keep the process under control. The main idea is to charge your car battery completely but not to overcharge it. Complete charging as well as overcharging may result in the situation when your car battery keeps its charge worse. Consequently, a battery “dies” faster. In this article, we’ll tell you about the ways to find out if a car battery is completely charged.
Before you get to finding out if your car battery is completely charged, you can read through the article “How To Charge A Car Battery”. We need to remind you about the several rules mentioned in this article:
- – You need to charge your car battery using a special device.
- – When connecting a charging device to your battery, do not forget about polarity. You need to connect minus to minus and plus to plus.
- – On average, it takes 10-12 hours for a car battery to get completely charged.
The 1st Way To Know When A Car Battery Is Charged
If you want to know when a car battery is charged look at the battery. Some models of car battery have a special color indicator.
It’s located on a battery itself. It shows if a battery is charged or not. We need to point out that this method allows you to define only an approximate state of charge and whether your car is in need of charging.
The 2nd Way Of Finding Out When A Car Battery Is Charged
This is the most popular method. You need to carry out the procedures described in it only after you charge your car battery. You need to know that in order to use the 2nd method in practice you’ll have to buy a special device called voltmeter.
How To Know When A Car Battery Is Charged With Voltmeter
- – Disconnect the charging device.
- – Disconnect the battery terminals from the battery.
- – Connect voltmeter. You need to remember the rules of polarity when doing it (plus to plus, minus to minus).
- – Keep it in place as it is for 6-8 seconds.
- – You see instrument readings.
Using the table provided below, define your battery’s state of charge. Each level of voltage corresponds to a certain state of charge provided in percentage points.
The 3rd Way To Know When A Car Battery Is Charged
This method will be useful for those who don’t want to disconnect a car battery from the car.
- – Check that your battery is installed in your car and is connected to it.
- – Increase the load on your car battery by turning the tail lights and headlamps on.
- – Use voltmeter. Connect plus to plus and minus to minus. Keep it in place as it is for 6-8 seconds.
- – You see instrument readings. If your car battery is charged, the rate of voltage should amount to 12.4 V
We hope that the information provided is useful for you. Now you know how to find out whether your car battery is charged and ready for being used. If you have questions left, you may leave them in the comments. Keep reading our articles.