A totally discharged car battery may cause lots of problems and make you change the plans you have for a day. Most often, a car battery gets totally discharged during winter. This is exactly the time when your car battery is a subject to cold temperature. Besides, during a day, when you’re driving your car, the heating unit and the systems heating up the windows and the seats are turned on.
The first signs of a totally discharged car battery are monotonous sounds and snaps of the starter when you’re trying to start the engine. One more sign is the glimmering of the indicators on the control panel that becomes even worse when you turn the key. If your car battery is dead, you shouldn’t panic. Below you’ll find the ways by means of which you can start the engine of the car with a totally discharged battery.
How to Start a Car with a Dead Battery? 1st Way
Use a charged car battery or find a car with a well-charged battery.
This method can be used no matter what car or car battery you have. The type of shaft line doesn’t matter as well. At the same time, those who own electric cars can’t use the method. In order to properly charge your car battery without any danger to your health and start the engine of your car, you need to follow the following step-by-step instruction and regulations for safety.
- – Find a person (a car owner) who is ready to help you.
- – Buy special wires (you can see them on the picture below).
- – A car with the charged car battery should be located as close to your car as possible. At the same time, your car should stand at a certain distance so that not to touch the car with the charged battery. There is a need for the 2nd car to be parked properly. In other words, it may either be parked so that its bumper is in front of the bumper of your car or so that its bumper is in front of the wing of your car. Actually, the way it should be parked depends on the location of car batteries.
- – Shut off the engine of your car. Keep in mind that the car battery of the 2nd car should keep on working.
- – Connect the red wire to the positive battery terminal on the dead car battery. After it, connect the red wire on the other side with the positive battery terminal of the charged car battery.
- – Connect one end of the black wire to any metallic detail of the engine. You connect it to the metallic detail of your car with dead battery. Connect it as far as possible from the devices of the fuel system. Connect the other end of the black wire to the negative battery terminal of the charged car battery.
- – Wait for several minutes.
- – Try to start the engine of your car with the dead battery. Make no more than 3 attempts.
- – If you manage to start the engine of your car, leave it as it is for several minutes. If you fail to start the engine of your car, do not try to start it anymore.
- – You may disconnect the wires in reverse order. In other words, you disconnect the end of the black wire from the metallic detail first. After it, you disconnect the other end of the black wire from the negative battery terminal of the charged battery. Then you disconnect the red wire from the charged battery. Finally, you disconnect the other end of the red wire from the discharged car battery.
- – Start the engine. You can now use your car.
Regulations for safety:
1 – Choose the car the battery of which will be used as a source to charge your dead battery according to a certain rule. The capacity of this battery should be either equal or more than the capacity of your battery.
2 – Pay attention to the fact that all the wires should be connected properly and safely. The thing is that once you start the engine of your car, there will be vibration under the hood of your car.
3 – The wires you use to connect the car batteries shouldn’t get tangled.
4 – You need to strictly follow all the steps mentioned above. If you doubt that you’re able to cope with the task, do not try to charge your car battery using this method.
How to Start a Car with a Dead Battery? 2nd Way
Start the engine of your car using a car battery booster.
The best way to start the engine of a car with the totally discharged car battery is to use a car battery booster. The type of the shaft line of your car doesn’t matter. Besides, the type of a car battery doesn’t matter as well. Still, you need to keep in mind that the method can’t be used by those who own an electric car. You can buy this device on E-bay, Amazon or any car and truck shop. You should know that the device is not cheap.
When you buy the device you are also provided with the corresponding manual. Below, you’ll find general rules on how to connect boosters and charge your car battery using them.
- – Check that you’ve shut off the engine of your car.
- – When you buy the device, you’re also provided with wires. The red wire (positive) should be connected to the positive battery terminal meanwhile the negative wire should be connected to the negative battery terminal.
- – Wait for a couple of minutes.
- – Try to start the engine of your car.
In the majority of cases, you’ll manage to start the engine of your car at the first attempt if you use a car battery booster. According to the feedbacks the users of such like devices share with each other on the Internet, you may face some problems only if you have a car with large engine.
After you start the engine of your car, we recommend you to visit a service center so that to define the cause of your battery being totally discharged. You’d better keep everything under control and prevent the situation when your car battery is totally discharged. In order to do it, it’s enough to pay attention to the condition of your car and follow the rules mentioned below:
- – If the climate is rather cold in the country you live in, you need to take measures concerning the battery of your car. Take it out of your car every evening and put it in a warm place for the nighttime. You may either make or buy special heat insulator for your battery.
- – When you go out of your car, check if the headlamps, the heating unit and other devices that consume electricity are turned off.
- – Undergo the MOT test on time and change spare car parts if there is a need to change any of them.
- – If you’re not going to use your car for a long period of time, you need to either take the car battery out of your car or simply disconnect it from your car.
the Video about How to Start a Car with a Dead Car Battery
How to Start a Car Battery with a Booster
You are welcome to share your experience with each other in the comments.